Saturday, September 6, 2008

...aaaand we're back!

Confession: I stink at blogging! Sometimes I think the pressure of other people being able to read what I write scares me away from this thing. I much prefer facebook, where I can just stalk..err...check up on people, and write something short and halfway witty to them when I feel like it :) But I'm going to try to get better at exposing the world (ok a very small number of people who actually read this) to my thoughts, especially since this year will surely bring some very unique circumstances.

Since I haven't written in over a month (whoops...been a little busy :) I'll try to give you the reader's digest version of what has been goin on.

In early August, the fam
(my parents + my sister and brother in law) and I took off for a much-needed vacation in pristine Estes Park, CO. Hiking was the name of the game, as I estimate we logged 500000+ miles on the trail ;) Last summer my dad and I attempted to hike Long's Peak, the highest Peak in Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Can you tell we like CO? 2 years in a row on vacay and I believe this year was the 6th time in my life.

Last year Dad and I were chased down the mountain by a thunderstorm, so this year
we were back with avengence for a rematch. AND Jodi (sister) was along this time, which pretty much made us the unstoppable hiking trio. I'll spare you the gory details (this thing ain't for sissies!), but we were victorious in our quest! Other highlights included being lazy, reading, watching lots of Michael Phelps victories, and eating.....just as a good vacation should be. Check out the picture below for my dad, sister and I on the summit of Longs Peak!



By mid-August, my family had to return to the real world back in IL, but CO wasn't done with me yet. On their way home, my parents dropped me off at the Denver airport where they dutifully made sure I got on a bus with lots of other "kids" (yes, it was quite reminiscent of the first day of school). This bus was filled with other STINTers (where STINT stands for Short Term International) bound for Copper Mountain ski resort in CO.

As STINTers we share a common passion: to see students' lives around the world transformed by a genuine relationship with Christ. This summ
er, the week-long STINT briefing at Copper Mountain had been the light at the end of a looong tunnel of support raising for many of us. It was incredibly exciting and a bit surreal to actually be there. The fact that I was there meant a lot of the biggest hurdles had already been overcome - and now it was time to start acting like I am REALLY spending the next year of my life in Germany.

I'm going to try to give you an accurate picture of what this week was like:

  • 350 people (most recent college grads) from all over the US who are going all over the world to tell students about the best and most vital news EVER with Campus Crusade for Christ.
  • A lot of concentrated time with the amazing team I'll be working with for the next year - more on them later.
  • lots of singing to our Savior, digging into the Word corporately and individually, digesting details essential to our year overseas (including some really fun stuff like healthcare and emergency evacuation plans!), and a plethora of prayer...
  • several rowdy games of "signs" (if you're confused...its a college game :), snow in August, interesting run-ins with the hippie-esque Blues festival-goers, rallying around the tv for Olympics-watching....
I would say the best part for me was getting to connect with my team - there were 11 of us, so we had a lot of connecting to do! We smushed all of us around the same table for most meals, laughed a ton (we're all just hilarious people, I guess :), and began the verbal background check you go through when you first meet someone. Where are you from? What was your major in college? Do you have any siblings? If you were a drink what would you be (and where)? Ahh...the beginnings of a tight knit family :)

Pictures below:
1. Our team at the commissioning ceremony at the end of the briefing - minus the Sfura family who was already in Berlin.

2. Just the laaaaadies :)
3. giant chair + team Berlin = bonding!!!



Since I got home from this delightful excursion (CO couldn't keep me forever) I have reached MORE than 100% of my support goal - which is just flat-out amazing! Looking back I have such a clear record of God's faithfulness and grace in allowing me to raise my support so quickly. Sure, there were some hard days/nights and it wasn't always fun, but I am deeply thankful to everyone who encouraged me, prayed for me, and have made sacrifices to give so my ministry can happen this year.

In the past couple weeks, I've had the chance to spend quality time with family and friends (I am so thankful for Bradley's semester starting up again and friends from high school who have drawn me out of my to-do list hermitage!). This time has really been such a blessing - good heart-to-hearts over coffee (mmmm) and sharing what is going on in our lives. I am excited not only for my year ahead, but for what the Lord will do this year in people's lives who are very dear to me.

while this maybe hasn't been the reader's digest version I was hoping for, at least I've pretty much caught up to the present day - I leave for Germany in just over 5 days! Tomorrow there will be a flurry of activity at our house as I've invited ALL of my supporters, friends, and family for a "sending off" party of sorts. Really just a way to see and thank everyone again before I leave.

I'm just about out of words for now - but if you're not tired of reading, you should check out my friend Erin Straza's blog - she's a compelling writer and a woman who clearly loves the Lord. I was honored to answer some questions for an interview she posted on the topic of "faith and risk." It'll let you in on a little bit of why I'm going to Germany for a year with Campus Crusade and what it means for me to live "dangerously" for the Lord.

Erin has been a wonderful encouragement to me in the short time I've known her, and she stands as one excellent example of the many people I've met through support raising that I never would have otherwise. So click, read, and then stay awhile - Erin is a much better and more faithful blogger than me ;) http://erinstraza.wordpress.com/

No comments: