Friday, September 26, 2008

same Amanda, different country....

so, 20 days later, here I am updating my much-neglected blog......but, I have news for you, my faithful blog readers (all 2 of you) - I am IN BERLIN! I live here now.....wow. The past week has been crazy, chaotic, tiring, and yet extremely eye-opening. There are so many things that have happened and details that could be proficiently laid out for you, but then no one would actually get through this blog entry. So, to pander to reader laziness, I will just make a few lists of my favorites, things learned, hard things, etc

Berlin is definitely in a league of its own as far as places I have visited. And I have most definitely NEVER lived in a place quite like this. Here are the early candidates for favorite things about my new home:

1. efficient, on-time public transportation. trains, buses, trolleys, etc - you can go nearly anywhere, its always on time, and American public transport doesnt even begin to compare.

2. street markets - there are several very large amazing Turkish markets in our neighborhood. Very cheap, delicious, fresh fruits and vegetables. mmmm mmm good.

3. Doner. a picture of deliciousness in a pita-like pocket. These are of the German Turk variety, usually cheap, and extremely filling. mmm mmm good^2.

4. cool architecture, amazing old buildings, and a city full of history. I can't say I'm exactly a history buff, but just being here is good motivation for me to proactive in learning more.

5. the fashionistas. The women here rock the cute scarves, boots, and skinny jeans - needless to say, I have much to learn from them.

6. Various delicious German carbs & sugar- schokolade croissants, new diversity of bread choices, the "elmer fudge" cookies (long story - but basically lets just say I once combined the character Elmer Fudd and the cookie brand Keebler Fudge), and of course - NUTELLA.

7. The path along the canal where I run off all my German carbs and sugar. There are swans, ducks, and sometimes trash strategically suspended in trees. This city definitely has its quirks.

8. While this is not necessarily something native to Berlin, it is definitely part of my time here - I'm loving getting to know my team. We are all really different, but it has been neat to see how those differences often complement each other. Plus they're just all pretty fun - as proved by our group watching of the Office season premier today during lunch and many spontaneous dance parties that have already taken place in the girl's apt.

Lest you think life in Berlin is a bed of roses, I'll cue you in on some of the harder things I've experienced since being here. These could also be taken as prayer requests if you're the praying type.

1. The language - I came here as the beginner of all beginners in the way of German knowledge. It is more frustrating than I thought to not know what is going or how to communicate with people. Often it makes me feel quite helpless, which is both hard and good. I hope it will make me depend more on the Lord because it is challenging my sense of self-sufficiency and control over my circumstances. Its been rough coming from my senior year of college where I knew how things worked, I had people that looked to me for guidance, I knew my surroundings like the back of my hand - and I knew the language. Pray I cling to the Lord while feeling like an alien most of the time here.

2. the constant opportunity for building community with my team members is awesome - but as an extrovert I tend to choose hanging out with friends when I should be investing time in other things - like my relationship with the Lord. I hate to feel like I'm "missing out" on things, but it could be very easy for me to become spiritually starved this year because I'm just constantly feeding my hang-out time quota. Pray I can find a good balance here.

3. Settling in is going slowly - we started with no lights, a pipe under the sink that was dubbed "Old Faithful" for its sporadic spouting tendencies, and a washing machine that may or may not work. Progress has been made after many long, tiring trips to IKEA, and as of today we have lights in most rooms, bed frames AND mattresses, and a bucket under Old Faithful (still working that one out...). Needless to say - we have more work to do, such as acquiring something to put the rest of my clothes in, which are currently in piles taking up 45% of mine and Katie's (roomie!) room.

4. I feel like I'm lacking on the boldness lately. We spent 3 afternoons this week at the Universities we're working at this year. Our agenda right now: check out the mensas (cafeterias), eat lunch with students, talk to them about whatever - whats fun to do in Berlin, what their lives are like, and their thoughts on spiritual things. In our visits this week, I just felt myself backing down a lot because I don't speak good German, afraid of sounding stupid, afraid of what students will think of me, etc..... back to my self-preservation ways. Yikes....Pray the Lord continually removes this spirit of timidity this year!

aaaaalrighty then. I'm sure you are tired of reading, and frankly now, I'm tired of writing. I feel this rambling should be a sufficient update on my life at the current moment.....and tomorrow, we're taking a day trip to Leipzig!!! Hurraaaaay, I dont know what is in Leipzig, exactly, but this means e-x-p-l-o-r-i-n-g! :)

Tschuss!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Right now i am feeling a bit guilty because i completly forgot that u were in Germany. i was going to contact u to tell u that i hoped u didn't have a hard time at the airport and that u made it through customs! but any way i was bored and i decided that i should Google "Knussman" and guess what was the first site to pop up (which made me feel in awe that it was about u). A site about u going to Germany so naturaly i clicked on it and i found it was an intervew on a site called "risk and faith" or something along those lines. so then i read it and i found out that u are way deeper in understanding in the Lord then i and now i feel ashamed at that and now i have to try harder to learn more about our Lord. any way on the "risk and faith" website there was a link to your blog site and so i read todays entry and i can definatly see some lits. in there the dubed "old Faithful" pipe if it is leaking out of the seems were the pipes join then u guys could try some "thread tape"
that would be put on the threads of the pipe. If their is a hole then obviusly it has to be replased. as for the washing machine i would make sure that there is sufficant electric power going to the washing machine. of course i could be way of the target to get those items fixed but that is what i would try. Any way have a good time in Leipzig.

Your cousin,
Matthew Knussman

(sorry for any mispellings, grammer issues, ect.)

(u watch the Office!?!?!?!?!?)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Don't apologize for your post, or think that no one reads it! Thanks for sharing your joys and struggles with adjusting right now. We love you and are praying for you. The bigger picture we have, the more informed we can go to the Father.

LMcBurney said...

Glad to hear of your God adventure in Germany is going well! I will pray for you today and ask our Father to keep you close and show you where and when the share His Gospel. In church Sunday, Pastor reminded us that the fields are white for harvest. You and I are in the midst of those fields. I pray both you and I will be bold to share the Gospel to a world that needs to hear it. God bless you,
Lori McBurney (for all of us!)